Friday, February 26, 2010

Adam Lambert Calls Olympic Skater Johnny Weir A 'Trailblazer'

Adam Lambert Calls Olympic Skater Johnny Weir A 'Trailblazer'

'He's expressing himself, I think that's what art's all about,' 'American Idol' star says.
By Jocelyn Vena


Johnny Weir
Photo: Matthew Stockman/ Getty Images

Adam Lambert knows what it's like to be criticized for performing in a flamboyant way. And after Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir was criticized for being comfortable hitting the ice in a less conventional fashion, Lambert came to Weir's defense.

"I'm glad he's a trailblazer," Lambert told "Access Hollywood". "He's comfortable in his own skin, clearly. And he's expressing himself. I think that's what art's all about."

In November, after Lambert hit the stage at the American Music Awards for a provocative performance of his song "For Your Entertainment," many critics, TV viewers and fans expressed a negative reaction to it. It was a reaction not so different from ones that Weir got from two Canadian sports broadcasters who said that Weir was setting a bad example for other male skaters.

"Whenever you do something that hasn't really been done, you're going to get love," Adam added. "[And] you're going to get hate."

Weir also hasn't been shy about responding to the harsh criticism. "Access Hollywood" reports that he spoke to Dorothy Hamill about the broadcasters' comments. "Every little boy should be so lucky as to turn into me," Weir said. "And that's all I have to say."

"I'm not somebody to cry about something or to be weak about something," Weir said in a press conference in Vancouver on Wednesday, according to People. "I felt very defiant when I saw these comments."

And while he's fine with his skating being criticized, it was the personal nature of the attack that made him uncomfortable.

"It wasn't these two men criticizing my skating, it was them criticizing me as a person, and that was something that really, frankly, pissed me off," Weir told reporters. "Nobody knows me. ... I think masculinity is what you believe it to be."

Related Artists


Tara Conner
April Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment