Saturday, March 6, 2010

Michelle Delamor 'Questioned' Singing Creed On 'American Idol'

Michelle Delamor 'Questioned' Singing Creed On 'American Idol'

'I feel that I still did give my own style to it, but I maybe should have chosen a different song,' she says.
By Katie Byrne


Michelle Delamor
Photo: Fox

While she didn't get a lot of screen time before the semifinals, Michelle Delamor established herself as season nine's resident diva with her first live "American Idol" performance of Alicia Keys' "Fallin'."

Unfortunately, she made an oddball song choice (an R&B version of Creed's "With Arms Wide Open"?) that sent her packing Thursday, along with Jermaine Sellers, John Park and Haeley Vaughn.

Does she think lack of screen time did her in? We caught up with the 22-year-old from Miami on Friday (March 5) to talk about that and much more.

Q: On Wednesday, Kara said "With Arms Wide Open" was your best performance yet. Then during the results show, she took that comment back. Was that difficult?

A: You know what? It was a little bit disappointing, but knowing myself, I'm really a perfectionist, and I know that I didn't do my best. I know that Wednesday was not close to my best performance. I understood where she was coming from. I was a bit disappointed that she had those things to say, but I couldn't say that she was wrong for it.

Q: What was your thought process behind choosing the Creed song?

A: After my first performance, I had done Alicia Keys, and the judges all thought I needed to take a risk and try something they wouldn't expect me to do, so that's why I chose to do Creed, because I knew they wouldn't expect that. It's kind of like a rock ballad, and I'm not a rock singer. I thought I was taking a risk, and I tried too much to go by what the judges said. I wanted to make sure I did the right thing, and I was too caught up in my mind. I feel that I still did give my own style to it, but I maybe should have chosen a different song.

Q: At any point, did you question your decision to go with the Creed song?

A: I did. I really did question it. As a matter of fact, I think part of what messed me up a little bit is that I questioned it before I got up on that stage. When you're not sure of the song that you're performing, it's gonna be noticed and people can feel that. I definitely would have done my next song. I would have reversed [the order].

Q: What were you planning to sing next?

A: I wanted to do "Come Together" by the Beatles, but Michael Jackson style. I feel like it has so much drive, so much intensity. It's a song that I feel. I love it. My idol, my inspiration Michael Jackson, he covered it. And he did an amazing job, and I've just always loved that song.

Q: Do you think your lack of screen time in the early rounds led to your exit?

A: Actually, in the very beginning, they had made a whole commercial that said "Meet Michelle," and I thought that was amazing. I was like, "Oh my God, I can't believe it!" And then I saw that they didn't really show me much, but I figured, "They know what they're doing." I knew that I didn't really have a story. I kind of have a normal lifestyle back at home, not so much tragedy or anything like that. I don't think that makes for good TV. [Laughs.] So I understood.

Were you sad to see Michelle go? Do you think her Creed song choice got her voted off? Let us know below!

Get your "Idol" fix on MTV News' "American Idol" page, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions.

Related Videos Related Photos


Cindy Taylor
Claudette Ortiz

No comments:

Post a Comment